Monday, March 10, 2008

From "The Sleepy One"

An anonymous posting . . .

For much of my life, I really didn't drink at all. There are several reasons for this, but the predominant reason was that I didn't like the taste of alcohol. (If I make it to Round 2, you'll get a second reason.) My family mostly drank Bud, Genny Cream Ale, and Lake Niagara wine - is it any wonder I didn't like the taste?

In college, several of my friends attempted to find some drinks I would like. Nada. It wasn't until I was in grad school that I found something tolerable.

As a result, I had never been drunk. Even to this day, I've never truly been drunk. Tipsy - yes, but not really all-out drunk. I've never had an alcohol-induced hangover. (If it's anything like the MSG poisoning I experienced in Cleveland, then no thank you.)

Going back to college, my boyfriend at the time decided shortly after I turned 21 that I should try to get drunk, just for the experience, and so I'd know how I'd react. I went along with this plan. He bought a bottle of good wine, and we went back to his apartment.

I still wasn't keen on the taste of wine at this point, but since it wasn't wine in a box, it wasn't so bad. Over the course of an hour or so, I managed to finish two glasses. And then promptly fell asleep in the armchair in his living room. I'm pretty certain that this was not the reaction he expected.

No comments: